rejuvenation according to ayurveda
A unique element of Ayurveda is the concept of Rasayana or Rejuvenation Therapy. Rasayana is an anabolic therapy that focuses on restoring, rejuvenating and rebuilding the system on a cellular level. The therapies tend to include specific diet, herbs and lifestyle implementations that focus on nourishing and nurturing the body and mind, especially when they are in a state of depletion. Rasayana can be used to prevent illness, restore the system after illness or maintain optimal health. When administered properly, Rasayana promotes longevity, strength and immunity. When it is misused Rasayana can clog the channels of the system, increase toxic build-up and promote heaviness of the body and mind.
Rejuvenation Therapy is the life promoting, anti-aging jewel of Ayurveda. It can be the “nectar of immortality” with the proper knowledge, and should be a routine part of one’s health maintenance regimen.
- It permeates the whole body.
- Gives strength and immunity - maintains integrity of the body.
- Observed most clearly on the skin of healthy people as the smoothness and "glow" of vibrant health.
- The end product of perfect digestion.
- The connection between consciousness and matter.
- Not yet discovered by science, but said to be a white, oily substance in the classical texts.
Ways to increase Ojas:
- Develop good digestion and balanced diet.
- Develop consciousness.
- Positivity in feelings, speech, behavior.
- Love, joy, and appreciation produce more ojas, and therefore better immunity.
- Panchakarma / Ayurveda purification therapy
- Restorative sleep
lifestyle management and treatments
Some common indications of when Rasayana should be practiced:
- After a severe illness
- After a cleanse/detox program
- Nervous exhaustion
- Mental exhaustion
- Physical exhaustion
- Vata disorders (insomnia,weakness, debility, emaciation…)
- Weakened immunity
- Chronic fatigue
- Before age 18
- After age 40
- Sexual debility
- During pregnancy (Antepartum)**
- After pregnancy (Postpartum)**
- While breast feeding**
- During chemotherapy **
Rasayana is all about nourishing and rebuilding, and therefore the treatment therapies need to be the same. There are many ways to put Rasayana into practice; however they tend to fall under these four categories:
- Ahara (diet)
- Vihara (lifestyle)
- Aushadha (herbal medicine)
- Acharya (behavioral medicine)