Ayurveda Elements of Nature
"Just as the seasons of nature change, so does the human body. To keep the balance between the physical and emotional bodies, we rely on nature's wisdom. We all come into the world with our own energies... known as "doshas". Ayurveda is the science of balancing the three main doshas to help our bodies function in harmony with the way nature intended."
Space and Air element - Vata dosha
Movement, transportation, communication
Energy that controls bodily functions associated with motion, including the nervous system, blood circulation, breathing, blinking, and your heartbeat.
- In balance: There is creativity, vitality, and enthusiasm.
- Out of balance: Can produce fear and anxiety.
- Location in physiology: colon, joints, and inside the bones.
fire element- Pitta dosha
Digestion and metabolism
Energy that controls the body's metabolic systems, including digestion, absorption, nutrition, and your body's temperature.
- In balance: Leads to contentment, intelligence, and generosity.
- Out of balance: Can cause ulcers and anger.
- Location of physiology: liver, small intestine, skin.
earth and water element- kapha dosha
Structure, strength (immunity), lubrication
Energy that controls growth in the body. It supplies water to all body parts, moisturizes the skin, and maintains the immune system.
- In balance: Expressed as love and forgiveness.
- Out of balance: Can lead to insecurity and envy.
- Location of physiology: chest and low back.